Welcome to our very first blog post! We thought what better way to start, than to introduce you to our foundation jewellery element that each piece of Mahi Collective jewellery is handcrafted from: 925 Sterling Silver. What is it exactly and why should I wear it, you ask? We simplify it for your confident wearing below.
What is 925 Sterling Silver?
925 Sterling Silver is made up of 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. The reason copper is used is to 'harden' the silver as 100% silver is a very soft element, and copper allows for more intricate designs that will be more durable for not only the making process, but also your everyday wear. Silver is mostly in the Americas region and even in Australia!
Why should I wear 925 Sterling Silver?
Kind on your skin: The perfect element for sensitive skin, 925 Sterling Silver is hypoallergenic meaning it does not cause allergies or reactions like cheaper elements such as brass can. It is nickel + lead free, and beautiful on your skin all day, plus no green colouring on your skin like brass! Win!
Durable: 925 Sterling Silver is more durable than 100% Sterling Silver and other elements due to the copper element that is added. This allows for you to wear confidently daily, no matter what you're doing you never need to take it off unless you want to wear it in the Ocean and apply lotions, of course (more on that later!)
Easily maintained: All elements tarnish from everyday wear, and 925 Sterling Silver is one of the easiest to maintain! If you notice your jewellery getting a little darker over time, this is completely normal and is caused by humidity reacting to the copper. You can simply polish it (I recommend the yellow sunshine polishing cloth) and it will be shining like new again!
Affordable: For an element with all the wonderful above features, 925 Sterling Silver is more affordable than many gold options which makes it a great option for jewellery you want to wear everyday.
Soft, Earthy Tone: With a shiny, silver tone, it pairs perfectly with the colouring of natural gemstones in which we use in all Mahi Collective Jewellery and allows for effortless wear with any outfit colouring!
Why 925 Sterling Silver from Mahi Collective?
- We use only high quality 925 Sterling Silver that is handcrafted by skilled artisans
- Our jewels are 100% hypoallergenic as mentioned above so only good days ahead for your sensitive skin!
- Our jewellery is also handcrafted using only natural gemstones for your everyday connection to the Earth and empowering properties each gemstone embodies
- It is practical and durable. You can confidently wear it from day to night, in the shower and during your everyday activities without any worry of damage to the jewellery or harming your skin.
- Because of the elements durability, it will last you a lifetime of beautiful memories and you never need to take it off (unless you want to be extra careful, then we recommend you following our Care Guide here)
If you have any questions, or would like to know more, please reach out at any time via email or social media, I would love to chat to you!